Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pixar's Mark Andrew's Lecture

Pixar artist and now director (Brave) Mark Andrews gave a lecture at CalArts about storyboarding. In this lecture he is telling of one of his assignments where he has the students tell a Greek myth in 140 - 160 panels. It's all about telling a story with "a limited scope in a limited time."



The second part of the lecture is where he really goes into his method and workflow. This is the best part of the whole thing! I like what he says about thumbnailing. For storyboard artists it's a waste of time. Draw it to scale or else you'll be doing double the work. "Thumbnailing is for animators."



Ever since I saw him in the making of "The Incredibles" on the second disc of the DVD release, I have always been fascinated with his work. I have seen the making of that film MORE than I have seen the actual movie.

No comments: