Thursday, April 5, 2012

Cartoon Round-up 4: Chip & Dale

This week's subject is another one that brings back great memories with my Dad and my little sister. We would watch the classic Chip & Dale cartoons and just die laughing every single time. I hope you enjoy these as much as I do.

"Dragon Around" (1954) directed by Jack Hannah

The part in "Dragon Around" that would ALWAYS crack me up (and still did as I was previewing these shorts) happens around the 1:14 mark. HILARIOUS!!! And I always remember the "dragon's" grunt: "HA-CHOO! HA-CHOO! HA-CHOO!"



"Donald Applecore" (1952) directed by Jack Hannah

The part from "Donald Applecore" my Dad and I would always quote would be:
"Apple core.
Baltimore.
Who's your friend?
Me!"
**SMACK!**
We never really got the joke or the reference if it was a reference, but it was pretty dang funny! Especially when Donald does it to Dale and he points to Chip as his best friend. Poor Chip never saw it coming. SMACK!!



"Two Chips and a Miss" (1952) directed by Jack Hannah

I always loved the song they sing at the end and the reactions from the boys. It's almost like they're trying to be a bit of Tex Avery from his short "Red Hot Riding Hood" (1943). But more about Tex in a later post.



"Test Pilot Donald" (1951) directed by Jack Hannah



"Three for Breakfast" (1948) directed by Jack Hannah



One of the animators that had a hand in all these great animated shorts is the legendary Bill Justice. In 1999, I was fortunate enough to get the opportunity to meet Mr. Justice at the Disney Institute Animation Celebration held at the Disney Institute near Walt Disney World in Florida. He came around and spoke to some of the guests during one of our workshop sessions. He even sat at one of the tables and started drawing away. You could tell it was something he really loved to do. He wasn't asked to draw something, he just started drawing. And you better believe those drawings were snatched up quick! I only wish I got a hold of one. I did get a picture with him and he did sign my name badge. That was good enough for me. Thanks, Bill!




I also got to meet and talk with John Culhane, nephew to author and Disney animator Shamus Culhane. He is a professor, author and the inspiration for the character design of Mr.Snoops from "The Rescuers" and Flying John in the "Rhapsody in Blue" sequence in "Fantasia 2000". He signed many things for me including a "Fantasia 2000" lithograph and a copy of his book, "Disney's Aladdin: The Making of an Animated Film." I have been meaning to write a post or two about my trips to The Disney Institute in 1999, 2000 and 2001. All in due time.

No comments: