Thursday, April 19, 2012

Cartoon Round-up 6: Indie Shorts

I've been waiting to post these since the very beginning. These are some of my favorite animated shorts! CLASSIC!

The first one is "Rejected" by Don Hertzfeldt. My uncle first showed me this years and years ago and I never forgot it. I now own a few DVDs of Hertzfeldt's animation including "Rejected". You can get your copy through his website bitter films. It was unlike anything I had ever seen and just blew me away much like what happens to the characters at the end. The fun part is quoting some of the lines with my friends at work. Just PLEASE not while I'm making the closing announcements over the PA system. You know who you are!

"Rejected" (2000) directed by Don Hertzfeldt



I first saw "Creature Comforts" (1989) by Nick Park and Aardman Animation on a VHS tape I got from Animation Magazine years ago for being a loyal subscriber. It had several shorts that were Oscar winners and nominees. My favorite character is the lion or leopard at the end that is talking about wanting space and water "to swim in". "Name it and I go!" The other one would be the little chick bird that waves at the camera then pulls the beak off of the other bird and it snaps back like a party hat.

"Creature Comforts" (1989) directed by Nick Park



The next one here ALWAYS gave me the creeps as a little kid. I first saw "The Cat Came Back" by Cordell Barker on the Nickelodeon channel. They would show it between shows. This was when Nickelodeon first came on the air. I think it was the guy's character design and his temper that freaked me out. Also, it had to be that damn cat that KEPT COMING BACK!! AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

"The Cat Came Back" (1988) directed by Cordell Barker



Next up is the short film "Drink" by Patrick Smith. I cannot recall exactly how I came across his work but it is some amazing 2D animation. I have a copy of his DVD "Liquid Tales" that has his short films up to that time. Check it out! Amazing work! Also check out his website blend films.

"Drink" (2000) directed by Patrick Smith



Lastly is "The Big Snit" directed by Richard Condie, a sweet tale of a couple who have an argument over a Scrabble game completely unaware that a full nuclear war has just broken out. This one always cracks me up. I am always quoting this film whenever I get really frustrated. "And YOU are always shaking your eyes! You're shaking your eyes here! Shaking your there! Shake-a here! Shake-a there! Why don't you go join a shake-a-rock-a-roll band!!" I think I first saw this one on Nickelodeon, too.

"The Big Snit" (1986) directed by Richard Condie

No comments: