Wednesday, May 30, 2012

"The Illusion of Life" as an "e-book"

Last December I posted my resolutions for 2012 of what I would like to accomplish this year. Numbers 1 and 2 are in the works. I plan to start things up next month. But for me number 3 was a bit more challenging and one I have been wanting to do for a long time: to read a chapter a month of "The Illusion of Life". Things started off great but I quickly hit a few snags. IT'S A BIG BOOK! It's not a little hardcover or paperback you can throw in your backpack and lug around with you everywhere you go. It's a huge coffee table book, just not that portable. I tried reading in bed before going to sleep. The problem with that is when I start reading in bed I am out within minutes. Always had this problem, always will. I  tried and tried but could not get past the first couple of pages.

Then the other night I had a stroke of genius. I cannot recall how I came up with this idea but it just popped in my head. Have I mentioned before how much I love my new Droid Razr Maxx? Well now I am completely in love with this phone. Here's what I came up with: I can take a picture of the pages and read them on my phone! I turned "The Illusion of Life" into an e-book! I snap a picture with my phone and open it from my gallery. I then turn the phone to landscape mode, zoom in on the text and BINGO!! I can now read this book comfortably anywhere and any time I want!! It's only been a couple of days and I'm almost done with chapter two. And on the plus side, the book stays safely in my library and devoid of any scuff marks and possible damage. I do love my animation books! I have a new one that will be added to my library this weekend.

I have to angle the camera phone so as not to get a big white out right in the middle because of the flash. The page appears crystal clear except for the top part. It's slightly out of focus because of the angle but it is still very readable. I don't know if anyone else has ever thought of this because I have never heard of it yet, but I had to share this.

So Animators!! If you have "The Illusion of Life", and I know you do, start snapping!!

The following pages are property of Walt Disney Productions copyright 1981 and I only display them for educational purposes.





Once I finish reading this book, here is the next book on my list: John Canemaker's "Walt Disney's Nine Old Men."


No comments: