Monday, December 6, 2010

Disney "Tangled"


I cannot say enough about Disney's new animated feature "Tangled". It was nothing less than amazing and beautiful. The first thing I noticed about it was the character design. These characters don't look like your typical CG characters. They look like the characters of earlier Disney classics. Rapunzel looks a lot like Ariel and Belle. She has those big, beautiful eyes and profile like the others.

The main thing that really had me looking forward to this film was that Glen Keane was originally directing it. I remember listening to him talk about this on a podcast a couple of years ago. He was talking about the painterly effect they were going for. That's exactly what they did. This CG picture has the same look and warmth of Disney's traditional 2D animated features. And with Glen Keane on board, I knew the animation was going to be nothing short of the best. Watching Glen's animation work on Tarzan, you can definitely see his touch in many of the scenes. The subtle hand poses, the expressions in the faces of all the characters, and especially Rapunzel's feet. I know it sounds weird, but Glen did some amazing work with just the feet and hands of Tarzan and the Beast.

The thing that really surprised me when I saw the film was that it was a musical. I knew there were going to be songs involved, but I didn't expect the characters to break out into song and dance. That was a nice surprise. I didn't walk out of the theater humming any of the songs, but they were great none the less. I'm pretty sure if, and when, I see it again the songs will stick a bit more.

The one thing I can say over and over again is that this is an amazing movie and I can't wait to see what comes next!

No comments: