Friday, October 12, 2007

Robot #1

I recently bought my first WACOM tablet. It's a drawing tablet you hook up to the computer. I haven't had much time to work with it. I was a little discouraged when I was using with a program called PENCIL. It's a 2D animation program. It's seemed to be working fine until I realized it was a little tricky. When I would push the pen down to the tablet, the thickness of the line depended on how much pressure I put on the pen when I first make contact with the tablet. Touch the tablet softly, the line is light and thin, or not at all. Push down with some force the first time you make contact, the line is thicker and darker. The line depended on how much pressure you apply when you first make contact, not the entire time the pen is in contact with the tablet. It was a little off-putting. Always having to push down hard on the pen everytime I wanted to make a decent line.

So tonight I decided to try the tablet out with Photoshop. I finally got the results I was hoping for. I can run the pen along the tablet and apply different amounts of pressure and the line will change thickness as I go. THIS is what I had been hoping for with PENCIL. So now I'm going to have to figure out some way to incorporate this into making my animations. I still need some more practice.


Oh, here's my first doodle. It's of a "robot" of some sorts. Part of my earlier homework assignment.


Not the best, but it's a start.

No comments: