Thursday, February 7, 2008

*Revision*

Here's my revison for last week's assignment:

I think I figured out the Translate Z (left to right movement) that had been bugging me so much lately. Well, for this assignment at least. The problem was that the ball was not rolling off the ramp as it should. I had forgotten one of the twelve principles of animation: Slow In/Slow Out. As the ball gets rolling, it eases out of the start position and then takes off. My spacing was all off.

I also fixed the bounces on the heavy ball. The first bounce was too far from the ramp giving it a feeling that it was lighter than it should be. Also, the bounces that followed were a bit too high. So I brought in the first bounce and lowered the rest of them. As or the light one, I just added one more little bounce at the end and lined up the top of the arcs of the curves.

I also think I found the answer to why these past few assignments have been giving me so much trouble. A simple ball bouncing has nothing to do with acting, it is all physics!! I was doing some reading last night in the book "Timing for Animation" by Harold Whitaker and John Halas. This is what I found:


I KNEW there had to be a formula to this!! This tells you exactly how far and how fast a ball of "average" weight should travel if dropped from a certain height. I will definitely keep this in mind next time I have to drop a ball.

No comments: